First Unitarian Universalist Society in Newton (FUUSN – pronounced “FEW-zin”) is a vibrant community of brave, curious, and compassionate thinkers and doers. We are a member of the Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations (UUA).
We are diverse in faith, ethnicity, history and spirituality and unified in our desire to make a difference for the good. Since our founding by abolitionists and educators in 1848, we have been active in local and global activism in service of peace, justice and radical inclusion.
We are a people of all sexual orientations and gender identities, and our congregation has been on the forefront of LGBTQ+ inclusion for more than 40 years.
We have made a congregational commitment to ongoing education, advocacy and action for racial justice and partner with local and national organizations to advance this work.
We welcome you: your whole self, with all your truths and your doubts, your worries and your hopes. Join us on this extraordinary adventure of faith!
An LGBTQ+ Welcoming Congregation
We are a Welcoming Congregation, recognized by the Unitarian Universalist Association. This means we affirm and include people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer at every level of congregational life—in worship, in program, and in social occasions—welcoming them as whole people.
As a Welcoming Congregation we have pledged to:
- Honor the lives of all people and equally affirm displays of caring and affection without regard for sexual orientation.
- Celebrate diversity by using inclusive language and content in worship.
- Incorporate an understanding of the experience of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer persons throughout all of our programs, including religious education.
- Affirm and celebrate lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer issues and history.
- Affirm marriage equality and conduct same-sex weddings.
- Advocate for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer people, promoting justice, freedom, and equality in the larger society. We speak out when the rights and dignity of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer people are at stake.
We recognize that there’s always something more to learn and remain open to deepening our understanding about the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer people.
A Green Sanctuary
As a recognized Green Sanctuary, we live with a deep awareness of our climate crisis and the deep environmental injustices of our time. We commit to four practices, grounded in Unitarian Universalist principles:
- Environmental Justice: We partner with marginalized communities who are hit first and hardest by environmental crisis. In partnering with these communities we are able to address human and environmental needs at the same time.
- Worship and Celebration: As we work together towards a cleaner, more just and sustainable world, worship inspires our work and reminds us of what is most sacred and most true.
- Religious Education: Our workshops and programs for all ages shape attitudes and build practices that are sustainable and spiritually-grounded.
- Sustainable Living: We treat the world more gently by using fewer resources and being mindful of the choices we make, both as a congregation and as households.
We invite all who share these values to join us on this journey of connection, sustainability, and hope. If you are interested in getting involved, see our Climate Task Force page, and join our broad and growing movement for climate justice with UU Ministry for Earth. Connect with other congregants and friends through our UU Plant-Based Eating Club.