Over 60s History
From its inception the Over 60s also has organized the following workshops and presentations for both the Over 60s cohort and the congregation as a whole.
Winter – 2019
February 3, 2019 – Panel Speakers: the directors of Newton Senior Center and Newton-at-Home organizations shared community information and resources. Refreshment and Q+A followed.
Fall 2018 Events
- September 16, 2018 – Film: “Living While Dying”
- September 30, 2018 – Panel re: “Life Long Learning Opportunities in Boston Area: An Overview”
- October 21, 2018 – Chair Yoga; Head Start Room; 12 noon..
- October 28, 2018 – Speaker: Phebe Sessions, Ph.D. “New Insights in Aging” – Presentation, Film and Discussion.
- November 11, 2018 –Speaker: Michelle Boiardi, CDP, CADDCT. Dementia Specialist. Cognitive Health and Brain Care. Q+A.
Winter/Spring 2018 Events
- January 28, 2018 – Workshop on “Trauma of War on Families and Children” presented by author and film maker, Susan Hackley with the younger congregation members in mind as a whole.
- February 18, 18, 2018 – Chair Yoga with Helaine Golann.
- March 4, 2018 – Presentation/Discussion with John Nichols on “Spirituality and Aging: Do we get Older and Wiser?”
- April 27-29, 2018 – Co-sponsor relationship with “Living Wisely, Dying Well“ project of a weekend of various workshops, presentations, performances in different venues in Newton including FUUSN re: issues of importance to our cohort. FUUSN hosted the True Story Theater performing “Talking About Death With Loved Ones.”
- June 2018 -Panel presentation on alternative living arrangements and comparative residential settings.
Fall 2017 Events:
- September 17, 2017 – Presentation of “ Fun Things To Do“ offered in the Boston area, provided by Barry Cotton who has an eye to the senior pocketbook.
- November 5, 2017 – Workshop on “Gratitude as Wisdom and Healing” by Karen Edwards, Ph.D.
Winter/Spring 2017 Events
- March 9, 2017 – a panel of elder specialists, – a lawyer, an attorney, an elder care specialist organized by Adam Shamus, Real Estate Elder Specialist in Newton.
- March 23, 2017 – The Conversation Project which focused on planning difficult but important conversations with families and friends regarding decisions around terminal illnesses and death.
- April 23, 2017 – A workshop called “Legacies of the Heart” with nationally known author and speaker Meg Newhouse.